City Council Chambers and Mayor’s Office Renovations ~ Columbia SC
Renovations of the Columbia City Hall building, including the Council Chambers and the Mayor’s offices. The building was constructed in 1870 during the presidency of Ulysses S. Grant, using granite from Winnsboro. The original use was for a federal complex including the courthouse, post office, and National Weather Service. The building became Columbia’s City Hall in 1938. The work included historic plaster repair, painting, lighting, a new audio-visual system, and restoration of the previously hidden skylight. The original cast iron skylight was removed, restored, and re-installed, while a new period-appropriate chandelier was placed at the center point of the grille. The project received a Historic Columbia Preservation/Restoration Award.